Friday, September 17, 2010

Blog # 3 Healthy behaviors in adolescents.

       In order to insure that adolescents are making informed health decisions, we have to appeal their intellect and their reasoning abilities. We as adults have get on their level of thinking; studies have shown that if teens believe that their peers are using condoms during sexual intercourse then they would be more incline to use them. 
      For parents I think it is important that they do no judge their children harshly when the child comes to them with mistakes they have made. They have to be able to calmly talk about the issue at had, because once that comfort level is broken teens will be more hesitant to come to their parents when they are in trouble. This is a very sensitive topic for me; in my early and late teen years I was sexually assaulted by my friends’ father and raped by my supposed boyfriend because we had different view of sex outside of marriage. I was afraid to tell my grandmother who cared for me the majority of the time; she was very old fashion and sometimes speaking to here about something of that nature was difficult. Although, my mother was around and we had a great mother daughter relationship I was unsure of how she would act once I told her, would she think it was my fault would she be able to look at me the same. I did not end up telling anyone until 1-2 years after the incidents occurred. Because I was not properly informed about proper help and the lines of communications in my family were kind of shady I held on to that and suffered in silence which caused me to develop an Eating Disorder. If religion is apart of your family make that a big part of teaching your kids morals, if it is not come done to their level, do not force them to do something educate them about it, talk it out be a friend and a parent.
      I read in an article a couple of days ago that peer educators are more successful than Adult educators. I think the government should provide training for teens to teach their peers about the dangers of risky behaviors, this not only helps the kids these peer educators are teaching, but it also gives these students special training in making informed decisions, clarifying the their values and acting on them; they are viewed as leaders in their community and by their peers. When teens are given a voice, it makes them feel important, it makes them feel like they do have control of their life, and therefore they would not feel the need to rebel as much. This also builds their self-esteem, this will lead to healthy eating habits, and healthy sex practice and they become more active in their community and their lives.




Mason,Hilliary. (September 2003). Peer Education: Promoting Healthy Behavior.

Retrieved from http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=444&Itemid=177


3 comments:

  1. Hi
    I am truly sorry that happened to you. It is surely not a burden for just one to bear. I am glad that you were able to speak with someone. I understand your reservation about talking to your grandmother, my grandmother was old fashioned and she raised my mother that way. I could talk to my mother about situation of this nature. You are right! In order to accomplish any goals with children/teen, we must be able to establish an open –door policy. We must understand their thought process and work from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed you shared your unfortunate experiences. I am in agreement, religion plays an intense role in the morals we teach our children. I do not, however, believe children should be seen and not heard. They have voices and should know they will be heard and safe. Your silence may have been the result of not knowing what to do or whom to speak which is unfortunate. I am very sorry for the pain you had to endure. Parents should listen to their children and educate them at an early age about what is proper and not proper behavior and not wait until something terrible happens. Children need to know parents are available to them and that they can tell their parents anything. I advocate children speaking to children; however, some subjects may require parents, teachers, and communities getting involved with the proper raising of our children. It does take a healthy, wholesome village to raise children. I believe you could be an activist for children who have been abused. Know that your are loved and are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beatrice,


    Thanks you would think people get over events such as sexual assault after a while, but it is still there in many different forms. I to never believed in children should be seen and not heard, I guess that is why my grandmother and I got in quite a few altercations when I was growing up,but God rest hear soul.
    I understand that parents want to shield their children from the dangers of the world, but if children have the right to know what is dangerous as well as what to do when they encounter danger.

    ReplyDelete